If you’ve wondered what Carissa and Nevra do behind the scenes each week, here’s a snapshot of our weekly administrative workflow.
- apply credit to site hosts’ orders
- Submit Goat Milk, Yogurt & Kefir order to goat farmer
- Submit Sheep Milk, Yogurt & Kefir, Sheep Cheese and Sheep meat order to farmer
- 3-3:30 be available for call from Farm and amend orders & discuss inventory levels for products. (Time frame varies greatly depending on farmer availability)
- process orders for payment (today or Wed morning) & also check to see if there are any unpaid orders where check may have bounced.
- Draft reminder email that gets sent on Wednesday.
- Receive email from Lancaster Farm Fresh (during the produce season) that lists out produce. Include that information in “delivery has arrived” emails.
- Send out delivery emails to sites as the drivers text that orders have arrived. (Create the drafts on Tuesday)
- Deal with delivery issues as best as possible
- Keep notes about complaints and other feedback
Thursday (or another day)
- Touch-base call with the farm to provide feedback to them about anything at all, such as complaints you received from customers.
- Place order with Lancaster Farm Fresh by 3pm and CHANGE PRODUCT INVENTORY TO ZERO so no one else can order.
Sunday (after 8 pm)/Early Monday Morning
- Call Jake Sunday evening (leave a message) with the count of these items:
- Clarified Butter/Ghee
- Creme Fraiche
- Sour Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Prepare all packing documents any time after 8pm on Sunday for fax to the Farm on Monday.
- 1 master spreadsheet for the farm
- Feedback Document
- 2 spreadsheets for drivers showing only unboxed items: Cow/goat/ milke (but NOT chocolate milk), Zerbe’s chips, produce boxes, cases of eggs, and rye kvass (not beet). These reports use the following sites:
- Angela’s (A or B) Stops
- Peter’s (A or B) Stops
- Also email a copy to the drivers
- Update inventory for scarce items (e.g. jumbo eggs, goat milk & goat kefir in winter, etc)
- Put Produce Boxes back in stock
- Email egg orders to egg farmer
Ongoing/Less Frequent –
- Respond to customer emails & calls from suppliers
- Onboard new customers
- Make enhancements to the product price list over time, to add more detailed descriptions of products, add or remove products, add contact info for suppliers, etc.
- Optimize the delivery network (open/close/relocate drop sites)
- Maintain the website, monitor the Facebook page
- Discuss ideas with the farm for continuous improvement